Contributor Marina Bizhanova, one EO Canada Bridge Members and founders of Montreal Leading brand, A personal brand agency Build and expand personal brand Entrepreneurs who inspire and make an impact.
In October 2021, after several months of anticipation, I finally sat in the room of 30 entrepreneurs in San Diego. They gathered together personally and virtually, and spent a full five days learning how to become a world-class public speaker By.
I feel both excited and nervous at the same time. I have been waiting to improve my public speaking skills, but this is too scary. Will I be asked to give an impromptu speech in front of others? Will I embarrass myself? Am I ready to do this?
I am here Global Speaker Academy, The newest member of the EO Executive Education Program. GSA held its first queue meeting in Miami, Florida in the spring of 2021. I can’t wait to apply for the program as soon as I heard it, but the pandemic makes traveling from Canada challenging and I really want to participate in person. I reluctantly waited for the border to reopen completely and for my chance to participate.
When the first group of people completed the GSA training in March 2021, EO’s social media became popular-the experience sharing about #EOGSA2021 triggered FOMO and consolidated my desire to be the next group. I applied for the summer vacation, was admitted, and my journey began.
In the real EO style, we were driven out of our comfort zone, exposed to too much knowledge, felt like drinking water from a fire hose, and felt challenged at every step. But we also feel supported at every step. What space is safer than a group of EOers cheering, practicing, learning and growing? Talk about “intimacy”-from the moment we walk into the room, we have it.
So, what can you expect when you apply to join the GSA? Here are my seven suggestions to make the most of your experience:
- Do your homework before participating. Once you are accepted into the program, you will be able to watch videos and complete some homework before arrival. Trust me: if you finish it, you will feel more prepared. Take time to think about the most influential and meaningful stories in your life. During these five days, you will work on the opening story of the speech, so be prepared.
- Plan to immerse yourself in the GSA experience. Our team not only lives and breathes during class time from 8:30 am to 5 pm, but also lives and breathes during breakfast, lunch and dinner, writing, practicing and perfecting our signature speeches. During the five days at GSA, I suspended my participation in my business, and I am glad I did. This experience is truly immersive, and if your attention is not distracted, you will make the most of it.
- Maximize the interaction of GSA coaches in extracurricular time. Our main coach is Pat Quinn, Chief Product Officer Expand your influence, And speech coaches for Daymond John, Tony Robbins, Sara Blakeley, and many others. He has three coaches to help him, including Renee Marino-Broadway and TV stars (also my personal favorite!). Coaches can work with you one-on-one. Make the most of it-they are great and really care about your success!
- Let go of your self-limiting beliefs. Our queue includes people who have given quite a few public speeches. It also has introverts who don’t have the ambition to speak on the big stage. They want to be better team communicators. guess what? We all feel that in a level playing field, we are all working hard and we all have won together. The supportive and encouraging environment created by the coaches and the environment further amplified by EOers is simply incredible. The relationship we build will last a lifetime.
- Believe in this process. The study, writing and practice in the first two days were very intense, and it was hard not to feel overwhelmed. But we were told to trust the process and structure of the program, it will help us through the difficulties and help us become more confident speakers. In addition to writing our signature speeches, we also learned best practices in body language, using correct visual effects, creating handouts, building trust, and optimizing Q&A time.
- Practice, practice, practice again. GSA encourages all participants to become speakers of EO forums and chapters around the world as soon as we complete the program. This is an opportunity to make an impact within the entrepreneurial community and share our expertise. For a list of GSA certified speakers, please send an email to EO’s virtual learning team: [email protected]
- Go bold, apply, and you will undoubtedly be glad you did. As Pat Quinn said, “If you wait until you are ready, you have waited too long.” Isn’t the same with other things we do?
I will leave this to you.
If any of the following statements apply to you, GSA has made it for you:
- You are an experienced speaker and hope to improve your skills through highly influential signature speeches.
- You have dabbled in public speaking, but need a lot of guidance and hope to be taught by the best in the game.
- You would rather skydive than speak in public because you will feel more confident and ready to continue to hone your public speaking skills.
GSA is tailor-made for you.
Interested in the evaluation of the program by GSA participants? Search for the hashtag #EOGSA2021 on LinkedIn and other social media platforms.
Are you interested in applying? The next GSA is tentatively scheduled for submission in May 2022. The application is tentatively scheduled to be submitted in February 2022. Pay attention to updates and details!