HomePress CoverageGovernment of Canada supports clean air and local economic growth through...

Government of Canada supports clean air and local economic growth through…

EDMONTON, AB, February 3, 2023 /CNW/ – The government of Canada is taking meaningful action as part of its Greening Government Strategy commitment to power federal buildings with 100% renewable electricity by 2025 to help fight climate change and support local renewable energy projects.

Today the Honorable Randy Boissonnault, Minister for Tourism and Deputy Treasury Secretary, announced two initiatives on behalf of the Honorable Helena Jaczek, Minister for Public Services and Procurement alberta And Saskatchewan who support the government of Canada’s Commitment to invest in renewable energy and achieve net-zero emissions by 2050.

Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC) has awarded Capital Power a 23-year contract valued at up to $500 million to power federal buildings alberta with green electricity, effectively January 1, 2023. The contract value is based on an estimated annual electricity demand of 250,000 megawatt hours (MWh) by federal facilities in the province. This electricity is attributed to a newly planned wind turbine in albertaexpected to be operational January 1, 2025. As part of the agreement, Capital Power will enter into an equity partnership with local indigenous organizations related to the project.

Minister Boissonnault also announced that PSPC had signed an agreement with Saskatchewans Main supplier of electricity, SaskPower, to power federal government operations Saskatchewan with electricity from renewable energies, that is around 87,000 MWh of electricity per year. With this agreement, the federal government supports the further expansion of the renewable electricity infrastructure in the state.

Up to 25% of the federal electricity consumption is accounted for by new solar projects in the state that were commissioned in the summer of 2022. The remaining 75% come from a new building Saskatchewan-based wind power generation project expected to be operational by 2024. These projects…

Source story


Most Popular

Recent Comments