Twitter owner Elon Musk responded to former FoxNews host Tucker Carlson‘s announcement that he is brings his show to the platform on Tuesday.
What happened: Musk said, “I also want to make it clear that we have not signed any agreements.”
“Tucker is subject to the same rules and rewards as all content creators,” Musk said on Twitter.
Musk expressed hope that others, particularly those on the left, will also “choose to be content creators on this platform.”
Karlson and Fox At the end of April they parted ways amid the fallout of the network’s $787.5 million settlement with Dominion Voting Systems in a case related to false allegations of voter fraud in the 2020 presidential election.
Why it matters: Musk said rewards on Twitter mean subscriptions and ad revenue, but the platform is still working on software needed to share the latter.
Carlson had praised Twitter in a video he posted, saying it was one of the few remaining platforms that allowed free speech, according to a previous report.
The former Fox News host said he would be bringing a new version of his show to Twitter and was “grateful” to be on the platform.
In late April, Carlson received 72.7 million views on a tweet he posted that contained his first video response since leaving Fox News. At the time, a Mashable journalist pointed out that the video itself had over 22 million views, which is still quite respectable.
It was previously reported that Carlson was weigh his options after his exit from Fox News with a report stating he was “planning his own media empire”.
It was revealed at the time that Carlson also had a conversation with Musk, but no details were discussed.
A close friend of Carlson said that “he wants freedom”. It has been reported that Carlson is also considering building a direct selling media company.